EU member since 1-5-2004
This is the country
- which boasts one of the world's most beautiful capital cities: Budapest, the "Pearl of the Danube", whose wonderful panorama is on UNESCO's World Heritage list,
-where, despite repeated historical disasters which devastated both the people and their heritage, much remains of great value that is worth visiting and getting to know,
- where 2000-year-old Roman ruins and 400-year-old Turkish monuments can be found side-by-side, not to mention beautiful churches from the Romanesque period in Ják, Lébényszentmiklós, and Pannonhalma, or one-time stately castles in Eger, Sümeg, and Siklós,
- where magnificent palaces functioning as hotels await tourists in Szirák, Seregélyes, and Nagycenk, to mention only the most famous,
- where Lake Balaton is located, Central Europe's largest lake, providing a natural paradise for families with small children,
- where hundreds of therapeutic mineral springs gush up from the depths, helping many thousands to recover their health,
- where the rich Hungarian folk art and the horse shows which introduce the lifestyle and traditions of the "puszta" (Great Hungarian Plain) attract tens of thousands.
And there's something else that keeps bringing visitors back to us - the legendary Hungarian hospitality.